Stained or yellowed teeth are a normal part of life while aging. Everyone, at some point in their life experience loss of the teeth’s natural whiteness after years. The discoloration is commonly caused by eating and drinking food and beverages that have stains. So, getting teeth whitening can benefit everyone, and you don’t have to be embarrassed about your smile. Professional teeth whitening services can give you confident first impressions and a beautiful smile to show the world.
What are the types of stains?
The two most common types of stains are:
Extrinsic teeth stains
These stains occur due to the food or drinks we consume. The enamel discoloration occurs when the surface of the teeth gets exposed to staining substances. Extrinsic stains are usually caused by the following:
- Tea, coffee, wine, energy drinks, cola, other dark liquids
- Pasta sauce, curry, soy sauce, etc.
- Acidic and citrus fruits
Intrinsic teeth stains
It is quite hard to determine the reason for internal staining. Discoloration might be caused due to various factors spanning back to incubation in the womb throughout your childhood. The yellowing of the dentin could be related to age, as our teeth get naturally discolored over time. Intrinsic staining can be caused by the following reasons, too:
- Excessive use of fluoride during early childhood
- Exposure to certain medications like tetracycline antibiotics, either during the second half of the mother's pregnancy in her womb or during early childhood before reaching eight years of age
- A trauma or fall that damage the tooth in youth
- An impacted tooth that causes internal bleeding
How can the teeth whitening results be maintained?
To maintain your results, you will have to be a little conscious, such as:
- You need to be cautious about your eating, drinking, and oral hygiene habits. As it may have a significant impact on the whitening results.
- Do not forget to rinse your mouth thoroughly after eating or drinking any colored food items.
- You should brush your teeth after having a meal. This will help in keeping away those discoloring agents from settling into the surface of the teeth, decreasing the plaque build-up.
- Visit your dentist as per the scheduled routine.
Call us (760) 433-9255 or schedule an online appointment with Dr. Schmidt for a consultation at our office in Vista, CA.