Benefits of Mouthguards
Posted by EL CAMINO DENTAL ARTS on Mar 17 2020, 01:15 AM
At El Camino Dental Arts, we encourage all athletes to wear a mouthguard. You may not be a pro athlete, but sometimes while playing in a fierce competition, an elbow might unintentionally hit you in the mouth. In order to guard against any such oral injuries, you need to wear a mouthguard.
What are the benefits of wearing a mouthguard
Wearing a mouthguard can offer many advantages, such as:
- Mouthguards act as a cushion for your mouth and also reduce the risk of having broken or knocked-out teeth.
- Certain studies have proven that mouthguards can help in reducing the risk of mild traumatic brain injures/concussions as they absorb the shock caused by a direct blow to the jaw.
- Mouthguards can protect your lips, tongue, and inner lining of the cheeks.
- People having braces can also use a mouthguard, as it prevents damage to brackets. It can serve as a barrier between braces and the cheeks or lips, hence lower the risk of developing gum injury.
- Mouthguards can prevent bridges and other fixed orthodontic appliances from getting damaged.
- It isn't that expensive as well.
How can you protect your mouthguard?
You can protect your mouthguard against damage, and you also need to follow some steps below:
- To keep your mouthguard dry and away from bacteria, store and transport it in a well-ventilated container.
- To prevent the mouthguard from any structural damage, place it in a sturdy plastic box.
- Do not expose it to heat or direct sunlight as it can make the material melt, thus altering the actual fitness and also reducing protection.
- Before and after each use, you need to brush the mouthguard using a toothbrush and toothpaste thoroughly. You should not use hot water.
- Check for signs of wear and tear regularly, and if you find any signs of ill fit, then discuss it with your dentist.
- While visiting the dentist for regular cleanings, bring your mouthguard along to get it professionally cleaned and also to check its structure and fit.
Call us (760) 433-9255 or schedule an online appointment with Dr. Schmidt for a consultation at our office in Vista, CA.